First of all, we would like to congratulate you on a successful WiFi range extender setup in your home or office. It often happens when the extender fails to detect the SSID name. Need not to worry if you are facing the same issue. Like always, we are here to take you out from this trouble. This troubleshooting post is for those folks who are experiencing issues in detecting the range extender SSID name. Let’s take the plunge.
Do you know the main reason behind this issue?
The failure in detecting the network name of range extender normally happens if:
- The extender has not booted up successfully.
- SSID is not transmitting properly.
- There is a blinking power LED on extender.
Find the reason for your issue and then look up for the solution accordingly. Let’s move further towards the solutions.
Solution: Improper booting up of extender
In this case, reboot your range extender and try connecting again. To reboot the Netgear WiFi extender:
- Switch on your computer.
- Connect it to a wireless network.
- Open a web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.
- Navigate to mywifiext.net setup page.
- Enter the username and password.
- Once done, click login button.
- Netgear genie smart wizard will open.
- Click on restart button.
- Finish the rebooting by hitting yes option.
The rebooting process is completed. Now you extender should detect the SSID or network name. But if you still come across the same issue, you need to check whether your extender is transmitting its SSID.
Solution: The extender is not broadcasting SSID
Follow the steps highlighted below to make sure that your extender is broadcasting its SSID or network name:
- Turn on a computer and laptop.
- Make a wired connection between the extender and computer.
- Access the default extender GUI using 168.1.250 IP address or web URL.
- Type the user ID and password that you have set up previously for the extender account.
- For the very first login, use the default username and password. If the default details are not working, maybe you have changed the credentials. So use the current username and password for login.
- Head over to WiFi settings once the dashboard appears.
- Verify if the box next to broadcast this network name (SSID) is checked. If not, make sure to check this box and click on save button.
- Confirm the SSID or network name of your extender and ensure that you are looking for the correct one.
Thus, you can resolve the issue by following our Netgear extender manual guide explained above.
Solution: Blinking Power LED
You can see a blinking power LED on your range extender if the firmware is corrupt or it is receiving a fluctuating or insufficient power supply. Here are the steps to get rid of this problem.
- The first step is to make sure that the extender is connected to a reliable wall plug.
- Press the reset button and restore all the factory default settings on your device.
- If the LED is still blinking, go for the firmware upgradation on extender.
- Just visit the download center and enter your extender’s model number.
- If any firmware update is available, download that right away.
- Once you have all the required files on your device, do remember to perform a hard reset and then power cycle it.
- It is suggested you to perform a hard reset on the range extender prior to firmware recovery. Doing so will ensure that the extender settings are set to their default values.
- Connect the wireless extender to a computer and confirm whether it has a valid IP address. If not, consider assigning a static IP address to your computer.
- Reboot the computer once.
- Run the Netgear genie setup on your device.
- Afterward, ping the extender’s IP address via command prompt.
- In case you are able to ping the extender effectively, repeat the step 10.
- Enter the IP address in the server box and then password in passphrase box.
- Click on upgrade option.
Kudos! You have updated the firmware version on your WiFi extender. For any mywifiext configuration doubts, get in touch with our experienced technicians and fetch satisfactorily solutions.