The word PET present in the PET CT scan means positron emission tomography. This test is mainly done to get information about the blood flow present in a human body and how much sugar and oxygen is used in them. So, when one goes for a PET CT scan then the doctor provides the patient with some radioactive substance. This substance is also known as the radiotracer which gives off the radiation and then the CT machine takes it up from there. By doing this, some images appear on the parts of the human body where the tracer goes off. This can build up in certain areas of the body and if that happens then there might be some disease present in those areas of a human body.
There are many PET CT scan centers in Bangalore where one can get their tests doe when the doctors prescribe them to do so.
Now the question is, why one needs to do a PET CT scan? Well, they only need to do this when the doctors recommend them to do so. The doctors prescribe this test to find out if there is any new disease popping up in a patient’s body and then depending on the situation and stage of the disease the doctors decide their course of treatment. They do the diagnosis first and then decide whether it will be treated with medicines or if the patient needs a surgery. This test is also mainly done to find out whether there are any issues with the brain, heart or any other cancerous outgrowths.
Possible reasons why one should go for a PET CT scan:
- In order to find cancer.
- In order to find out how much the existing cancer disease has already spread.
- To find out whether the possible cancer treatments are working on the body or not.
- After the treatment is over, the doctor does this test to find out whether the cancer is back or not.
- To see the blood flow rate in the heart muscles.
- In order to look if there are nay side effects from the heart attack.
- To determine and find out what are the best possible treatments for clogged arteries.
- To see if one is suffering from Parkinson’s or Alzheimer’s disease.
- To go for a treatment of seizures that is faced by a patient.
- To find out the exact location of the tumour in a human body if there is any.
As the test name says positrons one might ask what it a positron. Well they are those tiny particles which are mostly emitted from the radioactive substances which are administered to the patients. So, when one goes for a PET CT scan they need to check on some safety measures before they start on the test. These are the things to keep in mind.
- One should make aware the lab assistant or the technologist if they have any kind if allergies or if they suffer from any adverse reactions due to some medical intake.
- They should tell the doctor if they are pregnant and carrying a baby inside.
- If one needs some interpreting services during the test they need to tell the lab assistant so that proper arrangements can be done.
- Carry a list of the medicines that one intake at the time of the test.
Not only that, one should also make some preparations when one is going for the PET CT scan test. They are as follows:
- Some might need to follow some limited carbohydrate diet for the last 24 hours before the dare of the test appointment.
- One also should not drink any other form of liquid except for water at least for 6 hours before the test is done. But one can always drink as much water as possible because it is good for the test.
- It is okay to take all the routine medications before the test until and unless the doctors have asked them to do something else. If one has diabetes then they should take the diabetes related medicine at least 4 hours before the examination.
- Sometimes there are some extra examinations done but the doctors on the patients before the actual test happens. So one needs to reach the test venue at least half an hour before the appointment time.
Before the PET CT scan, there is a contrast which is injected to the vein of the patient in order to get some better images of the patient’s body.this is very helpful and so the radiologist often injects a small intravenous line (IV) which is placed in an arm vein. Through this arm vein the isotope and the contrasts are injected. Then the contrast gets excreted through the kidneys.
The duration of this test sometimes may vary but in an average it can be for a couple of hours. Here, the lab assistant will place the patient on the exam table and will ask them to remains still or to hold on to their breath as the table slides within the scan machine. Once the entire procedure is done then the patient needs to drink at least 5 glasses of water to flush out the contrast from their body. If the patient is a mother who is breastfeeding then they should wait for at least 24 hours before they can start again breast feeding.
If a patient suffers from symptoms like nasal congestion, itchy eyes, hives, rashes, sneezing, restlessness, nausea, dizziness and vomiting then they should consult the doctor on an emergency basis. The doctors present in the lab are also very much able to handle these kinds of situations.
There is some best PET CT scan centre in Bangalore where the proper procedure is followed in the scan test. They take the patients and do the test within a few hours and then release the patient on the same day after keeping an eye on them for some time.